I finally installed ReSharper yesterday to try it out.  I've been dragging my heals because I didn't want to have to learn a bunch of new commands and pay for that right (I'm cheap, I know).

Here are a few things I noticed immediately.  Keep in mind that these are first impressions, and they are sure to change over the next couple of weeks.

I turns out that ReSharper is not the culprit here.  See this post for more details.
TestDriven.Net broken after ReSharper install.

Any time I attempt to "Run Test(s)" now I get a "Could not load file or assembly 'nunit.framework...".  I haven't tried reinstalling TestDriven.Net yet.  I was going to wait until after I've evaluated R#.

Of course, R# has its own unit testing module, which is pretty nice.  You can create test sessions and pick and choose which tests in the sessions to run.  You can also debug.  TestDriven has all those things too and more.  In particular, NCover integration, a considerable loss. 

My key board shortcuts were all changed.

I am a firm believer that the more you use the mouse, the less productive you will be.  I have grown accustomed to using various commands withing Visual Studio to navigate quickly (e.g.  Ctrl W, S for opening Solution Explorer, Ctrl W, E for the error window, etc.).  I was given an option at R# installation for which keyboard scheme I wanted.  Although I chose the Visual Studio option, many of my shortcuts were overridden.  Apparently, Ctrl W now selects a block of code.  Needless to say, when I quickly entered Ctrl W, O to see my output window, I was surprised to see an entire method replaced with "o".

I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts with barely a second thought.  It will take some time to retrain myself.  I'm already not pleased that my various window commands (View Output, Errors, Solution Explorer) are not consistent.  It looks like I will have to do some customization.  Ugh.

Bogus "Ambiguous Reference" error.

R# enhances the IDE in a similar way as VS2008 SP1.  It adds design time "compilation" errors and warnings.  It appears to be much more robust that SP1, but I ran into one major problem.  In my ASP.Net web site application, I have a couple of base pages in the App_Code folder.  Most of my pages are subclasses of these base pages.  R# couldn't handle this inheritance without thinking that there were two instances of my base page.  Thus, it reported and "Ambiguous Reference" error.  This wouldn't be so bad if the rest of the page weren't effectively broken as well.  Because it could not resolve the base page, it could not resolve anything inherited from the base page.  This made it very diffiicult to work on the code-behinds because intellisense was broken.

I was able to resolve the problem by installing a nightly build (yikes).  The evaluation version of R# was build 933.  Reading through the log, I discovered that build 934 included a fix for my problem in particular.  After installing the build, it seems to me that R# (and Visual Studio) is a bit slower than before.

Cool Tools

The first "Wow!" I encountered with R# was the fact that it was able to identify a class that was missing both the assembly reference and the using clause.  In one step, I was able to add both.  Way cool!

Another nice feature is the navigation from one warning/error to another and applying the suggested fixes (Alt PgDn to navigate, Alt Enter to look at the suggestion, Alt Enter again to apply the suggestion).  It didn't take me very long to quickly run through all of the warnings in a file.

I haven't really gotten into the refactoring yet.  My code is already very heavily refactored.  I've used a few different refactoring tools.  Of late, I have been using CodeRush Xpress to handle my refactoring.  I'm sure to make good use of R# refactorings but I haven't yet.

Code Formatting

I suppose I would file this under another annoyance.  I had gotten all of my VS2008 formatting settings just the way I liked them.  After installing R#, they all got changed.  R# offers more options, but, for my needs, nothing significant.  In fact, there are a couple of indenting issues I am dealing with and I'm not sure how to resolve them.

Overall, my first impression is that R# will be more than worth a little headache over configuration and relearning key commands.  I look forward to spending more time with it.  The ultimate goal is for me to forget that R# is even there.  We shall see.

posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:27 AM
Filed Under [ .Net Tools Productivity ]


# re: ReSharper 30 Day Trial: Part 1
posted by Travis
on 1/27/2009 11:51 AM
Not sure what is different with your config and mine, but my Testdriven.NET works flawlessly side-by-side with RS#, always have.

Post A Comment